C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

I have a 2003 1500 HD and my Air conditioner suddenly

Customer Question

I have a 2003 1500 HD and my Air conditioner suddenly stopped working my check engine light came on and I got the P0101 MAF sensor indication.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: The light is steady. I did not try to reset it. I do get this issue that is hard to describe. When going up hill the truck engine changes sound as if a valve is opening. It is a problem the truck typically gets if I get a low octane gas
JA: What is the model of your '03 Chevy?
Customer: 1500 HD 4x4 Truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping I can fix it myself, or at least see if I can drive it for a day or two until I can get it in some place to fix
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: can't think of anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 6 months ago.

This is an indication you have a dirty or faulty mass airflow sensor. What I recommend doing is running down to the local auto parts store and picking up a can of MAF cleaner this is low in chemicals not causing it to ruin the sensor. I have attached the steps in removing it. You will want to clean it very throughly make sure you get all of the carbon and gunk off of the sensor. Once this is done you can reset the battery by disconnecting both the cables for five minutes. Reconnect and it will reset. If the sensor is not faulty this should fix all of the issues and get you back on the road. If for some reason the code comes back up it is most likely a failed MAF, they normally carry these on hand at the local parts store. Let me know if you have any questions. Please take a moment to rate or accept my answer. Charlie.