BOBBYSS, Master Technician

I went to start my truck today it it cranks real good but

Customer Question

I went to start my truck today it it cranks real good but will not start, yesterday it was fine.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Newer battery, I hera the engine trying to start but won't start running at all.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2001 gmc sonoma truck extended cab 6 cyl.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just starting
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** can be caused by anything from a bad sensor to the security system acting up. If the security light is on when cranking the engine then it is engaged. If not then it is more than likely a fuel system problem or a failing crank position sensor, which is a common failure. You need to use a computer scan tool to see if there is a crank signal when trying to start it. If not then it needs to be replaced. It can also be an issue with the ignition module or the distributor. Please let me know if you need more help.