Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I have a 2008 5.3L Chevy Surburban that takes about 5-6

Customer Question

I have a 2008 5.3L Chevy Surburban that takes about 5-6 miles for the oil pressure to get up to around 45-50 lbs of pressure. When the engine is temp is cold to cool the oil pressure is 30 to 35 lbs but increases as the engine warms up. Is this normal???
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: The oil pump is original equipment, I bought the vehicle new, it now has 190000 miles on it and the check engine light never has illuminated
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I was wanting your input on, is this a problem with the engine??
JA: OK! The Chevy Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: It has been a very good vehicle and as far as I know this is the only problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The most likely cause of the low oil pressure on the gauge is the oil pressure sending unit not monitoring the pressure correctly. These sending units go bad often and they way they usually fail is reading much lower pressure than normal or pegging out the the max all the time.

Do you plan to do any repairs/diagnosis your self?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if this is the only problem, I can replace the sending unit if u can direct me to the location of it??
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

It's the most likely cause. It could also be excessive engine sludge plugging up oil passages, but if you have maintained the vehicle reasonably well that shouldn't be an issue.

The sending unit is on the back of the engine. You will need an oil pressure sending unit socket to get it out. Here is a diagram that shows how to replace it. It suggests removing the intake manifold (which makes it a much bigger issue) but most of the time you can get to it without pulling the manifold.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

This is the socket you will need:

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

Let me know if you need additional info.