Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

I had battery replaced and it was bad and it was replaced 3

Customer Question

I had battery replaced and it was bad and it was replaced 3 more times then I started having lights come on about several different things???????????
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: this oine about 7 months
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: air bag light comes on, no fob , serive handling sytstem system, cruise works oin anmd off, not continous but since battery change
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was told I probably need codes reset
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: everything was fine til battery situation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi , my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today

what year and model chevy you have ?

how many miles on it ?

Have you checked the alternator charging system are you getting 14V while running ?

Do you have a Check Engine Light On at this time ?

Do you have a Security Light Flashing or Steady on ?

Have you Ran Diagnostic Test to retrieve Fault codes ?

let me know

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no engine light 2008 42,000 miles battery goes 13.2-14.2 constant changing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello

he i m with you just few minutes until i finish up this other call, I ll be right back , thank you

what model chevy please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
corvette

ok thank you

If you hook up your voltmeter and check voltage while it is running and turn all the loads on ,like headlight, a/c , hazard flasher , radio will that charge rate drops below the 13. 2v you said you seeing , can you check that and let me know ? thanks

have you Ran Diagnostic Test to retrieve Fault codes ?

Have you done a drop voltage test , to see what circuit is staying on causing the battery drainage ?

Thank You
Chad ( aka -Customer )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no engine light ever i don't have access to volt machine The problem seemed to start after battery changes just had codes reset and cruie doesn't work and cd door won't mopen but lights went off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
air bag light service handling system light went off

I found this tsb bulletin under the charging system , but i don't know if it relate to , unless it is not your daily driver and the cars sits for period over 30 days .

checking that alternator with loads is essential here , it could be the alternator diode is bad and draining your battery slowly, the pcm regulates voltage, i believe when you battery draining slowly , the pcm takes unnecessary systems off line to keep the car running , that is why these lights keep popping, when u put new battery ,there good for a while until it drains pass 11.2 volts and pcm see it and start shutting down the systems , the key is here to find the battery drainage ?

2008 Chevrolet Corvette V8-6.2L

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

INFORMATION Bulletin No.: 02-06-03-008D Date: July 21, 2008 Subject: Low Voltage Display on IP Gauge, Lights Dim at Stop Lights, Battery Discharged, No Start, Slow Cranking, Dim Lights at Idle, Low Generator Output Models: 1990-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn) 2003-2009 HUMMER H2, H3 2005-2009 Saab 9-7X Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-03-008C (Section 06 - Engine). Any vehicle may have a low voltage display (if equipped with gauges), lights that dim at stop lights, slow cranking, no start, low generator output at idle or dim lights at idle when electrical loads are heavy at idle or under slow driving or infrequent usage conditions. These characteristics may be more noticeable with customer added electrical accessories, or with a discharged battery. These are normal operating characteristics of a vehicle electrical system and no repairs should be attempted unless a proven fault has been diagnosed. During normal driving conditions, when engine speed is above 1000 RPM, the generator is designed to do two things: ^ Supply the current necessary to operate the vehicle's originally equipped electrical devices (loads). ^ Recharge/maintain the battery's state of charge. The following factors may affect generator and battery performance: ^ Non-usage of the vehicle for extended periods of time. The vehicle's computers, clocks and the like will cause the battery state of charge to drop (For example; 30 days in a parking lot and the vehicle may not start because of a dead battery or a vehicle which is driven only a short distance once a week may end up with a discharged battery to the point where the vehicle may not start). This would be considered abnormal usage of the vehicle and the normally expected result for the vehicle battery, generator and electrical systems.

Zoom and Print Options

^ At idle, vehicle electrical loads may exceed the low speed current (amperage) output of the generator and when this happens the shortfall comes from the battery. This will result in a drop in the electrical system voltage as the battery delivers the additional electrical current to meet the demand. This is equivalent to the brown outs experienced by homes and businesses when the electrical demand is more than the supply. See Figure 1.

^ Extended periods of engine idling, with high electrical loads, may result in a discharged battery. Attempting to recharge a battery by letting the engine run at idle may not be beneficial unless all electrical loads are turned "OFF".

^ Increased internal generator temperatures from extended idling can also contribute to lower electrical system voltage. As the generator's internal temperature rises, the generator's output capability is reduced due to increased electrical resistance.

Zoom and Print Options

Some typical examples of electrical loads are shown above.

Depending on the vehicle application, generator current (amperage) output at engine idle speeds of 600-700 RPM can be as low as 35 percent of the full rated output. With enough electrical loads "ON", it is easy to exceed the generator current (amperage) output when the engine is at an idle of 600-700 RPM. This is a normal condition. The battery supplements for short periods of time. Items that affect the vehicle's electrical system current and voltage at idle are the number of electrical loads being used, including add-on accessories, and extended idle times. When the vehicle speed is above approximately 24 km/h (15 mph), the engine/generator RPM is high enough and the generator current (amperage) output is sufficient to supply the current (amperage) requirements of the vehicle as originally equipped and recharge the battery.

Dimming lights at idle may be considered normal for two reasons:

1. As the engine/generator speed changes, so will the current (amperage) output of the generator. As a vehicle slows, engine/generator RPM slows and the current (amperage) output of the generator may not be sufficient to supply the loads, the vehicle system voltage will drop and the lights will dim. Dimming of the lights is an indication that current is being pulled from the battery. If the battery is in a low state-of-charge (discharged condition), the driver will notice a more pronounced dimming than a vehicle with a fully charged battery.

2. When high current loads (blower, rear defogger, headlamps, cooling fan, heated seats, power seats, electric "AIR" pump, or power windows) are operating or cycled "ON", the generator's voltage regulator can delay the rise in output. This effect, usually at lower engine speeds, can take up to ten seconds to ramp up the generator output. This is done to avoid loading the engine severely. To increase current (amperage) output, additional torque is consumed by the generator. The engine computer (ECM/PCM) will ramp up engine/generator speed in small steps so engine speed variations are not noticeable to the driver.

For diagnosis of the battery and/or the generator, refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) or Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-03-002C.

Zoom and Print Options

does your sit a lot or it is daily driver

have you performed a voltage drop test ? that is whats needed for the battery drain ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i drive it everyday could it be alt nator
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even driving battery goes 13.2-14.3 constantly

yes sir , my girlfriend has an 2008 also and I changed the alternator last year on it , and my alternator was on the border of being bad was fluctuating around 13 to 14 and under load depends how hot the car engine got , then it will drop to 12 ,11 , it took me few days to confirm it but that what solved my problem ,

so i suggest you doing a charging test and a voltage drop test, you need to know what is causing the drainage , the vets needs perfect power .

A Positive Rating is much Appreciated

This Post will stay Open For You To Come Back And Me Ask Any Follow up Question You May Have On This Issue .

If you need Wiring Diagrams , Component pictures or Locations , Testing Steps or R & R procedure Of anything on the car just let me know.

I m online daily from 9 till 12 pm

Thank You
Chad ( aka -Customer )

this is your charging circuit

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
was she having the problems i am having

yes sir her problem was the battery draining every 30 days and i changed alternator and that fixed, but i did all the testing necessary first , I would want you to change alternator with out testing

Thank You
Chad ( aka -Customer )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did her cruise work periodically and warning lights come on differen t ones at different times cd door refuse to open at times?

we never had a problem with the cd door issue , we had cruise control, check engine light and abs light & display flickering , and they were intermittent.

ours did it more after extend traffic idle and also , on cold start . but you can go 1 days with out problems, it depends how happy the altenator was and the temp outside

if i m not mistaken now days advance auto or auto zone can check the charging system for free I believe.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well it's 90+ all the time

oh I see you live in hot area , ?

Get the altenator tested and let me know , I will do my best to trace it for you ,

like i said the post will stay open just come back and tell me what were the result of the test of the charging system test and voltage drop test .

good luck , let me know .