Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc

My 2001 chevy blazer door will. Ot stay closed. The piece on

Customer Question

My 2001 chevy blazer door will. Ot stay closed. The piece on the door that grabs the door bolt will not grasp. I'm not sure what it's called.Am I able to send you a picture?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Attach a picture with the paperclip icon but if the door is hitting and not closing try putting a screwdriver in the place is closes and pull toward the inside of the door while you work the inside door release handle.

Let me know what questions you have

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure if this is fixable

So is the door hitting hard on the striker?

If that is the case try bumping the striker down a hit or two and see if it closes normally. You can also tighten the hinges and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The striker keeps getting pushed in
I have to put a chisel behind it

Looks like bodywork is required with the pictures you have posted so I will OPT OUT as I don't do that.

Sorry I could not help

Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 4 months ago.

Hello Im Chris and I will assist you. Are the torx bolts tight. The chisel is holding it out.

If they dont tighten enough to hold the striker in place i would suggest you drill small holes and put screws in there. You must first calculate where it needs to be.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The side that is holding the chisel is caving in... so I don't have anything to drill the holes into.... there's no backing there. My husband currently has the vehicle at work....any suggestions on what we could do ?

The 0nly choice at this point is to go to a body shop and have them weld in a piece of metal. There really is no quick easy fix there.

It shouldnt cost you too much especially if you want it to be functional and don't car about cosmetics.

Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 4 months ago.

it has begun to bend in and cave due to hinge pins and bushings, your local parts store will stock these, just tell them you need driver door pins and bushings they will know what you mean. The pins are the pivot in the hinges, they pound in and out with a hammer, once you have new ones the door will hit at the correct height and stop stressing the striker. It should only cost a few dollars to fix, I'm sorry no one advised this first, make sure to have a helper when you replace them someone needs to balance the door, and do one at a time top or bottom just not both because the door will be hard to hold, you also need to take the spring out of the middle when replacing, parts stores have a special tool for it for only a few buck but i have also just pried them out then compressed them in a vice, thrown a zip tie around them and put it in place and cut the tie. let me know if you need more help.