Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

1965 Impala rear passenger door is stuck on second click,

Customer Question

1965 Impala rear passenger door is stuck on second click, car has not door panels and I can see mechanism, anything I can do to open door. I have manual move the open lever and unlocking rods gets stuck on second click, I can see hex head for door bolt in lock. Any ideas
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the door panel from the other door and watch in there at that door latch exactly how it opens. I had to manually open the drivers door on my chevelle because the door latch would not unlock or open and it took me an hour or so seeing how the other side worked in order to find out how o open it. It ended up being by sticking in a long screwdriver and prying on a part of the door latch to pop it open but it's impossible to tell you exactly where to pry. You might even want to look at some photos of new latches on the internet and try to figure out how to pop it open. I actually ended up just buying a new latch and study how it opens and that helped as well.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If I remember correctly it was sticking a screwdriver in right here and pry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was the linkage broke on your car, my linkage is fine and open door to second click. I have no door panels on car so i can see. did yours open second click ?? And can I loosen door bolt with latch in place I can see hex head
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

no, the linkage was not broke, the latch just wouldn't open.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Get it open yet?