GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2003 1500 Suburban. t a small pot hole and the

Customer Question

I have a 2003 1500 Suburban. Hit a small pot hole and the engine shut down. The starter will not engage by putting the key in the start position but you can crawl under the truck cross the solenoid and it will then turn over but won't fire up.
There is a large draw on the Battery, this my just be the fact that the front running lights won't shut off, even with the key off they will stay on until the Battery is dead.
I have tried disconnecting the battery, fully charging it, reconnecting the battery, turning the key to the on position for 10 minutes , then off and trying to start it but the starter won't turn on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 6 months ago.

Hello, start by checking fuse " IGN E" in the underhood fuse box. IF the fuse is good check for power from it with the key in the on and start position on the pink wire at the transmission range switch and it should also have power coming out on the dark green wire.

LEt me know what you find and we can work further if needed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuse is good,I don;t know there the transmission range switch is or what it looks like?

It's mountedo n the dirver's side of the transmission about midway. I'll post a picture below for you.

Sorry about the typo, Driver side middle of transmission

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The pink and the dark green wires have 5.75 volts when the Key is off (witch must add to the Battery going dead) When the ignition is put in the start position they both go to 12 volts?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** that feeds the pink wire "IGN E" should only be hot in run or start. THere 2 possibile reasons it has the 5 volts with key off.

1. Bad ignition switch

2. internal short in the fuse box shunting power to that fuse

You can see which it is by unplugging the ignition switch and checking the voltage again on the pink wire. You can unhook the ignition switch by dropping the lower dash cover. Once it's down lok to the left of the column and you'll see a wide connector with an 8mm bolt in the middle. Unscrew the bolt and bull the connector apart.