rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

The wire to the cigarette lighter got hot and melted some

Customer Question

The wire to the cigarette lighter got hot and melted some ove the wires in the wiring harness so I took the dash out of the car and 1 by 1 I replaced the wires that were burnt got it back together and the security light is on and the car won't start how do I reset the security system
JA: Have you checked the dashboard control switch? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: I have checked fuses not sure about the dashboard control switch where is it located
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only thing I've done is replaced the burnt wires
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: The ignition switch is on recall could this be my problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

I attached the security info for you from GM.

Thanks, Ron