GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Can't press park button down on 95 corvette....help : I

Customer Question

can't press park button down on 95 corvette....help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I parked it in the garage, connected a trickle charger to it because of a several month leave. when I returned, , disconnected the charger and it started up. I put my foot on the brake and tried to shift out of park, but the shifter button would not push down to get into reverse....help
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: yes, the brake lights worked.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: called auto garage operator, he told me to look for a selinoid under the console connected to trans. it could be actin up and may need to be replaced
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: the car had new upholstery and carpet put in about two weeks prior to parking it. the shifter was stiff to get into park after that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you

have you checked your fuses

brake light switch could be bad under the brake pedal not releasing the shifter button

or the button itself is stuck

you could have blown the shift interlock fuse that releases the lock for the shifter to move, it could happen while charging it .

let me check the diagrams i will be right back with you

that is the location of the brake switch

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What's wrong with my payment?

i dont understand about the payment , i dont see any of that sorry, i'm just an independat expert helping online ,if you have a question on payment , email customer service, there should be a tap on there on ur screen to do that .

did you try wiggling the shifter repeatedly while pressing brake pedal

1995 Chevrolet Corvette V8-350 5.7L VIN P MFI

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

DESCRIPTION This electrical switch is use to indicate brake pedal status. This switch is normally closed when the brake pedal is not applied. When the brake pedal is applied the switch will open, changing the signal to the PCM. The PCM uses this signal to de-energize the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid when brake pedal is applied. The brake switch is located on the brake pedal mounting bracket.