GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2000 Chev Tahoe. a year as the car was being driven the

Customer Question

2000 Chev Tahoe. For almost a year as the car was being driven the engine now and then had an intermittent miss. Especially when pulling a hill or towing my boat. Putting it into tow haul would help and sometimes eliminate the problem. Never gave a code. My mechanic who I think is pretty good could not find problem as it never did it with him in car. I even had a 60 dollar coder reader hooked to it once when it did it. So I just tolerated it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: About 250,000 and 5.7. Also when unhooking boat yesterday while I was behind car and it was idling out of gear it started to run rough and just quit. That has never happened. I tried to start car and it cranked real well but no start. An hour later it started and went about ten feet and quit.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not sure about that.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: It seems to use a bit of coolant. Also about quart of oil between changes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

will the engine run now or is it still at a cranks no start ?

to confirm this IS a 5.7 engine ? the 8th digit of your VIN number is ***** R ?