Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 97 blazer, last week the instrument panel went out,

Customer Question

I have a 97 blazer, last week the instrument panel went out, all the gauges pegged out. The day after that the truck stalled out going down the road, we replaced the alternator. Next day stalled out again. We just put in a different instrument cluster but it is still blowing that fuse.
JA: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?
Customer: it is not the battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new alternator, new instrument panel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

What fuse number is *****?

While running what is the battery voltage?

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4 fuse
and I cant tell you the battery voltage because the gauges are all pegged out due to the fuse blowing and I don't have a tester

Diagnosing an electrical wire short without a volt ohm meter is going to be near impossible. Do you want to wait till you can get one or till someone whom does have one can help you. We will need to do some wire testing to figure out why the GAUGES fuse is failing and causing the cluster to fail and the alternator not to charge.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Super, just let me know when your ready, later or whenever and we can get started on this.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.