Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Could a bad oxygen sensor cause transmission shifting issues

Customer Question

could a bad oxygen sensor cause transmission shifting issues on a 2005 avalanche?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

No. Oxygen Sensors do not play a role in transmission operation. Oxygen Sensors monitor the air and fuel mixture of the exhaust and report this to the computer. The computer uses this information to calculate the best fuel-air mixture for optimal fuel economy and engine performance based on current engine conditions like temp and engine load, etc. The oxygen sensors also monitor the catalytic converters to make sure they are "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet the vehicle's emissions standards. If you are having shifting issues, the problem will more than likely be a sensor or solenoid or internal transmission issue. If you have a check engine light on, but no codes pointing to the transmission, a fluid and filter change might be the best place to start. Keep in mind, if the issue is a sensor or solenoid problem, the fluid and filter change usually will not help. If this is the case, a shop that has experience and a scan-tool that can interact with the transmission will be needed. Please remember to do the right thing and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
If you have any further question, please ask!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..