Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

I saw you gave another curious person some info on a 2004

Customer Question

Hi Dave,
I saw you gave another curious person some info on a 2004 Chevy Cavalier (
I have a 2004 and hooked up a CANBUS error eliminating resistor to the dark green (right rear turn signal) wire. When I did this, my turn signal stopped working entirely. In order to resolve that issue, I took the resistor out of the circuit and twisted the green wire back together (sealed with electrical tape to prevent a short).
When I turned my car on and tested the turn signal, either the bulb or the light socket/connector for the light started smoking!
I immediately turned the power off to the vehicle and replaced the connector (had the original laying around, just replaced the connector). I then replaced the bulb with the original (working when pulled out) in case the bulb had been blown during the possible short.
Now, however, the brake light and turn signal are both not working.
I was curious about the dark green wire... Where does it run? Is there a separate wiring harness for the rear power equipment? If so, where do I find it? I'm planning on doing a continuity test and verify the wire is still live with a multimeter, but I'd really like to find the other end of the wire before proceeding.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you explain what it is you are trying to do and why it is you need to install a resistor in the turn signal circuit and post back with complete details and I will try and help you with this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning Ron,The end idea is to install LED brake lights/turn signals. Unfortunately, as per my original post, I'm concerned I've got a bad wire now.I'd like to re-run the wire from whichever harness it connects to, back to the light, as the right rear brake/turn signal light is now not working at all.Every other light on my vehicle is working, which leads me to believe this isn't a blown fuse or bad circuit.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The green wire is the feed from the turn signal switch back to the bulb. Start with checking to see if you getting the signal out of the switch . See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.