GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 chevy tahoe z71. It continues to overheat as i

Customer Question

I have a 2004 chevy tahoe z71. It continues to overheat as i drive. I know i have antifreeze in it.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Is there coolant circulation?
Customer: As i was coming home from work the monitor read engine is overheated. I pulled over immediately and took the cap off, unfortunately it burst in the air and all the fluid went everywhere. I had a little coolant in 1/4 of a gallon in my truck. I poured that in and then bought another gallon from the gas station. It is still doing the same thing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just told you
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.

well you should never remove the cap while the engine is hot since you will instant boil whatever is in the system. since you have it home have you ran the engine with the cap off to ensure there is no traped air in the system?