C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.
73583367

My problem is with a 1993 Chev Silverado Pick-up truck. I

Customer Question

My problem is with a 1993 Chev Silverado Pick-up truck. I have a door lock/unlock switch that does strange things. The driver side door locks and unlocks by turning on the ignition switch and with the ignition switch off, the driver side won't stay where you command it. Switched to lock, it locks the door but immediately unlocks it. I have also had a slow drainage of the battery overnight and have pulled the fuse to avoid a dead battery. I haven't seen any connection between the ignition switch and the door lock switch on the wiring diagrams. Any help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 6 months ago.

The ignition switch has a built in locking system that locks and unlocks the doors when you put it in gear and back to park. To correct that issue you will need to replace the ignition switch. As for the battery draining I need to know what fuse you pull that allows it not to drain.

Please let me know the fuse as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The 25 Amp fuse to the door switches.

Okay just wanted to make sure here. Your only issue is a faulty ignition switch. I can get you the steps to replace but I will need to know if you have tilt steering and if you have floor or column shift.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tilt steering and column shift

Here are the steps to replace. Get that ignition switch replaced and it will fix your symptoms. They get worn out over time and this is causing the issue between the lock switch along with the battery draw. Common concern with your model after many years they just get a little rust and wear out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, I have the instructions. Thanks! I assume this is a one-time charge.

Yes it is only one time charge. You can come back to this same thread if you have any further questions or issues regarding this same issue. I will be here to make sure all your questions are answered.

Please take a moment to rate our exchange as it is the only way I get credited for my time and efforts on the site. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, thanks.

You are welcome, have a great weekend!