Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.

I bought a 98 corvette. It came with 2 key fobes that didn't

Customer Question

I bought a 98 corvette. It came with 2 key fobes that didn't work. I checked the batteries and they are good. When I use the owners manual to match the key fob to the car, the car does not do as the instructions say it is supposed to.
1. I turn on ignition.
2. Clear any warning messages on the DIC by pressing the reset button.
3. Press options button on the DIC until the blank page is displayed then press and hold the reset button for 2 seconds at which time the message FOB TRAINING is displayed.
4. When FOB TRAINING is displayed push the reset button once and the message HOLD LK + UNLK 1ST FOB should appear in the DIC. Then you hold the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter down.
But this is my problem
When the FOB TRAINING is displayed and I push the reset button once, nothing ever happens. I never get the message HOLD LK + ETC. It just continues to say FOB TRAINING
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The TPMS stopped working as well
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I attached some great information for you about your security system. As for the TPMS, that will need to be addressed afterwards.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a problem with a key.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Have you read all of that info yet?

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you have told me nothing about the problem I have. My car starts and runs perfectly but I cannot reprogram the key fobs for the alarm and the TPMS stopped working at the same time. This all started after replacing the battery after it went dead
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.
Okay, try this.
Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes.
Touch the 2 battery cable ends together for 10 seconds .
That should take care of it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing changed no improvement still cant program the darn things
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

I hope you didn't fry a computer with the battery issue you had. You may want to test the system for codes with a scan tool to see what that says, including the data. The body computer is what needs to be checked.

Thanks again, Ron

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 months ago.

What is the Part Number on the Remotes?
Have you Tested the Remotes to be sure they are Transmitting a Signal?

Has there ever been Remotes for this car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the remotes came with the car . number on remote GM 10253839 the remotes worked fine before the battery was replaced

thanks for the added info..........
Have you tried:
Stand next to vehicle & press LOCK & UNLOCK "together" for apprx 10 seconds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

At this time there is nothing else that can be done without use of GM Dealer Scan Tool to test & program the BCM & / or the Remotes
Prior to having GM Dealer do this, be sure to check "both Remotes" for Signal Transmitting.
Many Auto Parts Stores will do this for FREE
IF Remotes Transmit, then apprx 1 hour GM Dealer labor for Test & Program