GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I just bought a 1984 k5 blazer (305/np208/10 bolt front and

Customer Question

hello, I just bought a 1984 k5 blazer (305/np208/10 bolt front and rear) that had not run in about 5 years. new plugs/wires/fuel lines/tank, cranked it up last night and it runs well. put it in gear, nothing. no motion at all, nothing. shift linkage from steering column to transmission moves well, transfer case shows to be in 2wd and I can pull lever to 4wd (shifter in neutral position), nothing alt all. if I push the transfer case shifter to the right and pull back to neutral, ok, but if I try to go to 4wd low or even back to 4wd high or 2wd it grinds. if I try to move steering column to park, it grinds. I put 2 pints of transmission fluid in and it shows full. what do you think
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

check and see if the rear drive shaft is turning when you put it in gear.

does the speedometer work when it wont move

roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the blazer is on the ground, not on jack stands. when I put it in gear, nothing, as if its not even connected
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

does not have to be on jack stands. if the differential is a issue, then the shaft may turn and the truck will not move.

it does sound like the transfer case is an issue here

why has it sat so long

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
front or rear, nothing moves
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

and the tansfer case grinds when shifting???

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please read first note for what happens when shifting the transfer case shifter
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

I did read it more than once. none of it makes sense. if it grinds as you say, the trans is turning it internally.

once again why did it sit so long???

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what part does not make sense? it grinds with steering shifter in neutral and having moved transfer case to neutral then trying to go to 4wd low or even back to 2wd. what is grinding, the transfer case or the transmission, both. but most importantly, why no movement