virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years working on imports and domestic cars

My name is Carina, and I'm having a problem with my husband

Customer Question

Hi there.. my name is ***** ***** I'm having a problem with my husband 77 Chevrolet c10 5.7 350 truck... I would be gratefully thankfull if you can help me with this problem.
Problem 1: truck makes weird clicking/ticking/sound that sounds like its coming from the front passenger side of the truck. I can't seem to locate the sound.
Thanks in advance..
Category: Chevy
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

So I can assist better, I need a little more information. May I ask, is the ticking there while you are just idling? or only when you are moving down the road?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's there while idling and while driving.

How many miles on this engine? and how long has the noise been there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know. Since my husband bought this truck not so long ago. Like around March of this year. It has around 200,000 miles. I believe
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has put in a new carburetor, he reconstructed the transmission new bearings, etc..
Ok if the tick is coming from the engine it is probably the valve lash needing adjusted on one or more cylinders. Let me know if it is coming from the engine.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It sounds like its coming from the right lower back of the engine. Like on the lower side of the passenger side.
was the tick there when you bought it? From your reply I assume it was.
So here are a few things that can cause the tick/clicking.
1) Valve lash out of adjustment, but usually sound is a bit higher on the engine. From the valve cover area.
2) piston slap, usually produces a ticking sorta noise depending on the severity and its lower down in the engine.
3) small exhaust leak out of a tight crack or hole or improper sealing of the mating surface. Can be down low depending on where the leak is.If it's there idling and driving it means it's engine related, not anything drive train.
From your description so far it sounds like piston slap tho.
Let me know if this makes sense or sounds right and if there is anything else I can help with on this question.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Did my advice help? Do you still need assistance? Let me know.Thanks