GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2006 chevy Malibu LT engine change 2.2 eco After change put

Customer Question

2006 chevy Malibu LT engine change 2.2 eco
After change put in key and all lights up fine when turn key, Then in few sconds odometer reads ERORR. When try to engage key to start posision NO Start. There is no power going to fuel pump, cant hear ir. And have no power to starter lead or spark.
Also after trying to reset anti theft device or program with turning key on for 10 minutes times 3. Still no start. And if I tke key out and open door. Chimes go off as if I left lights on, radio does not go off. And the GEAR SELECTOR LIGHTS on DAsh STAY Brightly lite up. And wont turn off unless I unhook battery... Now again key is off and in my hand while all this is going on.
Then I go to unhook battery cable and while cable is still touching battery connect. THE Starter silinoid will try to kick in. And if I move battery cable to certain sopt while it is loose. The cars starter will engage and car tries to start. Again with me standing outside car with key in my pocket.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, why did you replace the engine? Dd the vehicle have any issues like this prior to the engine swap? Did you double check all your wiring routing and connections to the starter if it had multiple leads to the starter solenoid? Have you run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Prior engine threw rod and seized up. Yes I did scan for codes none stored. The Wire harness on here is not that complicated. I have triple checked starter connects. I have checked power lead to starter, it was good. But no power going to lead wire to solenoid. And there is power to starter wire. If you like I can take some picks of everything and send to you so you can see the wire harness connects. And I can do a video of what it does even, Let me know where oti send it? Email or thru phone? And I will do that tomorrow morn.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that way if you see something I missed you can point it out. I am charging battery back up tonite
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

you can attach pictures to this post using the paperclip icon in the text box. You dont have direct battery power from the main battery cable to the starter motor?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is power to main starter thru main cable. Ok will try contact you with pics in morning. Im out for night!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

No problem, ill be back on around 2 pm PST

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok still have not got an answer on here. I recently unhooked the ground coming from wire harness near starter and Crankshaft sensor. And it Stopped the starter trying to engage when connecting or disconnecting battery. No codes. And no crank or spark with key. You got an answer?
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you still need help with this here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Is anything after market installed like a remote start or alarm system at all?