HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

P have a 1993 chev just installed remanufactured trans

Customer Question

p have a 1993 chev just installed remanufactured trans mission 4l80e I cannot get reverse to hold
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the transmission does the same if you unplug harness
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: fluid is new 13 quarts truck has not moved more than a hndred yards since install
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I was intending to
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: i appear to have power at the solenoids but i do not hear them click in when i turn the switch on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, is this the reason why you replaced the trans?You will always have one forward and reverse gear if the electronic system failed. Did you check the transmission shifter cable adjustment and trans range sensor for moving properly into reverse? Drive gears ok?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i replaced transmission because the radiator trans cooler failed water was in transmission i also replaced the cooler would either of the solenoids not working cause thetruck to not hold reverse? could it be the computer not working?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
shifter appears to work properly shifts into drive and reverse but loses puling after a few feet in either gear
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Long as you flushed the cooler lines and have no contamination in the new trans, it should work fine. Sounds like an issue with the remanufactured trans.Even if the electronic system totally failed you would still have reverse gear

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help or information? If I was helpful please leave a positive rating

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hi, do you need more help with this concern? The question remains open until it is rated