Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2000 Chevy express 1500 van. Van has approximately 114,000

Customer Question

2000 Chevy express 1500 van. Van has approximately 114,000 miles. Just took a trip of approximately 3,500 miles and van ran great; no problems or symptoms of problems. Went to start the van this morning and it cranks over just fine but no sign of ignition. The fuel pump is original and I have never an issue with it. I am not sure if it is the case with this vehicle, but I know that with some other other vehicles, you can hear the fuel pump engaging and building pressure at the first aux turn of the key and prior to engaging the starter. I do not hear that on the van; after turning the key to aux position, their is no sound of the fuel pump. No "check engine" lights are on. What are the steps and the order thereof to troubleshoot and locate the source of the no-start condition?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

To check and see if the issue is fuel related, you can get some carb cleaner or starting fluid and spray it directly into the throttle body. Then crank the engine, if it fires for a few seconds on it, then it tells us there is spark and no fuel. At that point it's worth checking the fuel pressure to see if any is getting to the fuel rail. If not, then it's a safe bet to change the fuel pump. If you are getting fuel to the rail, then it may be a fuel injector issue. One step at a time though.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

HI there,

Hadn't heard back from you so I thought I would touch base and see if you needed further assistance?