GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

95 S-10 2.2L engine. truck died the other day while driving.

Customer Question

95 S-10 2.2L engine. truck died the other day while driving. Have replaced the ECU, Spark plugs, Spark Plug Wires, both Ignition Coils. Engine turns over but does not start. Put starter fluid in it and it back fired.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have replaced the ECU, Spark plugs, Spark Plug Wires, both Ignition Coils. Engine turns over but does not start. Put starter fluid in it and it back fired.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 9 months ago.

Hello, when you used the starting fluid did it backfire thourgh the intake or out of the exhaust?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Intake side

Thanks, ***** ***** could be going on here.

1. Timing chain may have worn and slipped.

2. Crank position sensor may be bad giving wrong reference

What I would suggest doing is a compression check to make sure the timing chain hasnt slipped. Compression should be above 100PSI on all cylinders and within 10% of each other.

Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.