Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

BCXM has gone bad : 2000 chevy 1500 Silverado cranks but

Customer Question

BCXM has gone bad
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2000 chevy 1500 Silverado cranks but doesn't run. did a temporary fix by resetting the passlock system but after 3 weeks is nor doing the same thing only this time the security light is not flashing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing at this point. figure I have to replace the BCM
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: nothing I know of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

When the BCM is replaced it has to be replaced with a new unprogrammed BCM.If you were to install a BCM that is already programmed to a different vehicle it cannot be reprogrammed to your vehicle and the vehicle will not start.A GM dealer has to program the BCM after it is replaced.

You can sometimes obtain a new replacement pre programmed BCM through a local parts store.If you have not contacted one of these facilities I would see if they can obtain one of these for you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete