Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

O5 trailblazer blows ign #22 fuse in run. one side of fuse

Customer Question

o5 trailblazer blows ign #22 fuse in run. one side of fuse socket test closed to ground. brake switch seem fine.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: o5 trailblazer blows ign #22 fuse in run. one side of fuse socket test closed to ground. brake switch seem fine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tested new 15 amp fuse, pops. paper clip will crank but no start. of course it gets hot fats so somethings is shorted. but starter seems to be engaging aand dis.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will want to start by looking for shorts in steering column and near pedals. If they look good then next step is to disconnect each component powered by fuse 22 to see if short goes away then replace whatever components causes short to stop when disconnected. Here is a wire diagram that shows all of the components powered by that fuse. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
pulled everything apart, headlights switch unplugged, turn sig, shift switch ,brake switch, ac relay, start relay, mirror, radio, gauge cluster, still shorted. ideas?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Did you unplug the park/neutral switch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
unplugged. dash and console are apart radio out as we did find a bad wire there but not related, radio is locked and not needed. looking at wires, pulling hair out. running out of time, need to leave this weekend.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I'll open qustion back up to see if someone else has some suggestions. My next suggestion would be start disconnecting wires from fuse box and splic 239 to see which one stops short then go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where is splic 239 located? under dash?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok , i have taken the fuse block partly apart, pulled the under connector set from the #22 fuse. the power from the ign comes in this side. out from fuse is NOT through the gray connector set. No ground on in , same as before. But out side is still showing ground. trying to find the b5 connector now. to seperate it from block.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok narrowed it down to wire from fuseblock connector c5 b6 to splice s239. unwrapping bundle.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have service manual now. says where s239 is. looking
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok so looking again at wiring diagram saw that rear view mirror wire goes through rear fuse block. we pulled the connector and HEY short at under hood connector gone. checked for ground in mirror wire and yup shorted. rearview onstar wire connector has been swapped and spliced maybe by persons who replaced headliner. leaving rear connertoc unplugged at rear box. reassembling front fuses and testing start.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Success! passkey has a problem but the short is gone and car is now running. Thanks for the help and diagram.