George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

P0300, p1345 what scan tool is there that someone can

Customer Question

P0300, p1345 what scan tool is there that someone can without breaking their bank
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Started running rough, check engine started blinking. I replaced crank sen. Map, ignition mod, coil, and still ran bad. Found that the cap would not tighen on rear of distributor, so replaced with new, came with cam sen. Ran fine for 2000 miles, now back to bad, 96 chevy k1500 5.0 vortec
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Trying to, but my scan tool will not set cam retard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Has 1 bad o2 sen that seems to have started working after moving wires around
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Snap-on "bricks" (MT2500) can do this and they are about $300 on ebay.

Some autopart stores have loaner tools that have limited data readout. If you get one that shows cam/crank offset in degrees it will let you set the distributor position accurately. It needs to be less than 2 degrees.

The issue is that it ran ok for 6 months? The code is when the distributor and crank sensor are showing the computer more than 2 degrees difference and the P0300 is a result of that so what changed?

Distributor position?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Has new distributor without setting cam retard, but ran good for awhile, on way to work, stopped at store came out, started misfire again

You might have been lucky then but does your scantool show the offset in degrees?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only show ignition adv at -18 idle -35 2500rpm

That is not going to do it then

Click here

If you can do that correctly you can install the distributor in the proper position.

If not an oscilloscope or proper scantool will be necessary.

A shop usually charges 1/2 hour labor to set this

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you