GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My 1990 corvette (base model) won't take the r12 freon

Customer Question

My 1990 corvette (base model) won't take the r12 freon because the clutch isn't pulling in, was in storage for 20 years had blown cold but no is starting to blow all warm, I've located the clutch relay under dash, going to check for 12 volts on the two brown wires.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I'm going to repair myself just want to do it easier than usual
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had bottled freon hooked up and AC on, but couldn't put freon in system because no clutch pulling in at compressor
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No there hasn't really been that much done w/ the car
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 months ago.

What happens a lot of times is the pressure is too low in the system, so the compressor wont pull in. There is a pressure sensor made to shut the system down to keep it from burning up if there is a large freon loss. That is less than ideal when you need to refill the AC. Do you have a set of gauges, or are you trying to fill it with a suicide hose.