GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I am trying to reset my key fob auto start on my 2009 chevy

Customer Question

i am trying to reset my key fob for my auto start on my 2009 chevy traverse. i got the doors reset to function.
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i am trying to reset my key fob for my auto start on my 2009 chevy traverse. i got the doors reset to function.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i reset the fobs to relearn and now the doors lock and unlock. however the auto start is not working.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: not that i am aware of at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Is this a factory remote start?

If so do you have a engine light on when the engine is running?

Can you post your VIN#

Please get back with me.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
both factory remote and replacement remote. i do not have a lite on when the engine is running. i will only post the last five digits of my vin-11897. 2009 chevy traverse LTZ
i have tried the reset using the 'driver information center' several times. i can get the doors to lock and unlock. i cannot get the engine to remote start. there are no warning indicator lights coming on.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.

When you push and hold the remote start button. Do the park lights flash on?

I need the last 8 of the VIN#.

There is a enable and disable for the remote start in the driver information center (DIC) Make sure it is set

The hood has to be closed and if there is any codes stored in the engine control module. This will disable the remote start.

If you could get it scanned for codes may help.

Most auto part stores will do it for free.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the lights do not flash as they did when the remote start was working properly.
the 'remote start engine' option in the DIC is turn on. i turn it 'off' and went thru the series of resetting once it wouldn't work and then turned it on. and then again in the 'on' option when that didn't work. the hood is closed.
if i get codes the dealership would charge me the one hour diagnostic fee. here it is approx $165.
last eight- 9S111897
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.

Could take it to a parts store they will scan it for free.

If there is any codes post them here.

When did it stop working? Did you have some work done on it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will have to do this when i can get to parts store available to do the test
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.

Also see if they can read body control module codes?

If nothing is stored in history. Try disconnecting both battery cables and touching the cables together.

This will reset all modules.

Keep me posted

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i went to 'auto zone' car parts and they don't do what you are saying. local 'pep boys' want a charge.
this is not what i thought it would be. it is taking too long. i am just going to take it to the dealership. they will reset the 'key fobs' for $50 and i'm done. i appreciate your help and i am sorry for wasting your time. since there was no resolve with your service i am to understand there is to be not charge.
thank you GM bob.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 6 months ago.

I will close the question.

If you need more help? You could request me

Thank you