Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I have a 2004 Trailblazer LS I6..crank but no start..Here is

Customer Question

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I have a 2004 Trailblazer LS I6..crank but no start..Here is background..changed the oil and plugs that's it..started up like usual when finished let it run for a few morning on way to work engine died and message on dash "service brake system" as it died.. has not started will run for a moment when i spray starting fluid but then cut off..checked fuel pressure at port near filter and read zero key on/off..some fuel did come out of port when checked..watched about 100 youtube videos on how to check fuel pump relay..under the hood all fuses r far as the fuel pump relay..removed relay and used test light..w/blk to ground pin 30 is constant power.. the light lights..also the light lights with pin 85 when key turned to on..then jumped pins 30 and 87 and I can hear pump running..then w/blk to batt+ the light lights on pin 86 constant ground but also it lit up when touched to pin 87..I was just checking..does this mean i have a short somewhere? or is this normal..Lastly, the only thing bad when i changed plugs..bolts on packs 3 and 4 snapped in half. both are right under the throttle body.. they would have to be machined way..i put a small piece of wood on top of them to help push down as i tightened the resonater back up..
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: hope that was enough info!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: it sat for about a week battery died..took to autozone to recharge they said its bad need new recharged some and still cranks like far..i did change fuel filter since also but no luck..there was some fuel at test port near filter when i changed it..bypassed the relay and ran pump a couple of times and checked at fuel rail port and not even a gas odor...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like you did all of the testing correctly and sounds like fuel pump has failed. Jump pin 87 to pin 30 at relay while checking pressure, if it is still 0 problem is either no fuel, clogged filter, or fuel pump. So next step would be to make sure you have fuel in tank, if so replace filter. If that doesn't help, replace the pump. Let me know if you have more question or would like replacement instructions, thanks.