Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

I have a 1012 chevy tahoe with 42,000 miles. Three times

Customer Question

I have a 1012 chevy tahoe with 42,000 miles. Three times while backing up the car has 'locked up'. I have been unable to go forward or back. The last time was 1 week ago. I was backing my boat down a boat ramp to launch. I was in***** Whele backing the car suddenly stopped making a noise like I had hit a concrete wall. I was unable to go forward or back for 5 minutes, even when i tried full throttle. Then it quit and
i was able to continue. I don't know if the problem is in the transmission or the***** After the first two times I took the vehicle to a chevy dealer and all they would do is check fluid levels even when i offered to pay they would do nothing. I took the car to a independent mechanic thay checked all the obvious things but did not take anything apart. They found nothing. I am not comfortable driving the thing since I don't know when it will happen again. Any clues
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi Richard, My name is***** will be glad to help. Jack up the vehicle and check the differentials for binding individually and for metal in the drain oil that would indicate a broken gear tooth that might be getting jammed occasionally when pulled from the bottom of the oil. If that is okay refill and move onto the transfer case and check for the same. Finally check the transmission for burnt oil and metal/debris in the pan. Let me know

Service all compartments using a clean drain pan for each and see if there is any signs of failure and if you find any metal using a magnet in the oil or reservoirs.