SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

My 1981 chevy Malibu will only show charging on the amp gage

Customer Question

My 1981 chevy Malibu will only show charging on the amp gage when the battery is disconnected , with the batt. connected it will not charge
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I start the car and It is not charging on the amp. gage. If I then disconnect the battery the car stays running and the amp gage is working on full charging.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a mechanic but not good on electrical
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just checked most of the wiring and replaced the altinator
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: not at this point
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  SuperDave replied 12 months ago.

Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running.Use a voltmeter.The voltage gauge is not always accurate.Let Me know what voltage you have.