GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2010 chevy tahoe. i bought it used about 2 months

Customer Question

i have a 2010 chevy tahoe. i bought it used about 2 months ago, 120,000 miles. occasionally i will try to start it and I turn the key, lights, radio, come on, but it wont crank. I have learned that I can unhook my positive cable on my battery for for 5 seconds and replace it. it will crank right up. any idea?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to assist you with this issue/

disconnecting the battery is just resetting the memory in the vehicle modules .so we have at least 1 module failing after a a master reset .So we need to find out which one ,hopefully just one is the problem.

I suggest you get it scanned & retrieve any codes in the system, not the advance auto scanner , u need a capable scanner that can communicate with the vehicle antitheft module , body control modules , pcm , etc .an independent repair shop or dealer should have that scanner.

the no crank event you having could be caused by a number of things , bad ignition switch , bad key transponder , security alarm module , bcm module etc with out running a diagnostic scan we will be guessing ..

when key is ignition & in the ON position is there any security led light flashing that u see .

let me know if u were able to do a diagnostic scan & retrieve any codes