Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

I have a 1992 chevy c1500 and something is draining the

Customer Question

i have a 1992 chevy c1500 and something is draining the battery, i have had 3 new batteries and have installed a new alternator
JA: How many miles are on the car? Will the battery hold a charge?
Customer: 170k yes its new as of 2 hours ago
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: even after changing alternator if the truck is not started for 2 days the battery is dead and will not even jump the alternator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: put a meter on the battery and pulled the fuses one a time and the reading stayed constant at 12.67. never went lower
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 6 months ago.

I am an electrical specialist, and I will try to help. Reading the battery voltage wont tell you much when you have a drain discharging your battery. It will tell you if your battery is dead, or charged. You need a different approach to check for power draining. You need to disconnect one of the battery cables and set your voltmeter to amps. Then attach one terminal of the voltmeter to the disconnected battery post, and the other voltmeter terminal to the disconnected battery cable. Once you hook this setup up like this, you are reading amps, which is consumption of battery power. That is key in tracking this problem. What I would do is to set up the meter, make sure the battery is fully charged then pull fuses one at a time to see if one will stop the drain. Suspect items are things like under hood lights, and glove box lights not turning off. I would pull the accessory fuse first. Also look at any device that has been added on. GPS, radios, or any other non stock electrical accessory. Check out the link HERE to further clarify the meter hook up to check for current draw. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Were you able to figure this out, let me know if you need any more help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and thanks for using Just Answer.