Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I am thinking of buying a 88 corvette with 30000 miles . ran

Customer Question

I am thinking of buying a 88 corvette with 30000 miles . ran great fast good shape but this morning after sitting over night when i went to start it and gave it gas it had a lound high pitched screach and blow some smoke then it was fine and drove great once i put it in gear it has new belts and a new altnator ? Should i be nervous and pass on it ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you try and start it without touching the gas pedal at all and would it start then at all?In some cases if you give it to much gas or on fuel injection engines no gas is needed when starting,putting your foot on the gas pedal will cause an over fuel issue and will cause the smoke you saw which is normal with an over fuel issue.This should have an injection system that does not require the gas to be pressed when starting.

The screech noise was most likely a loose belt on the engine or worn belt needing replaced which isnt a big deal.30,000 miles is low and is good to see as this vehicle should be in great shape.

I would however suggest that a repair facility inspect the vehicle fully for any issues before spending this kind of money on this year and model to be sure it will be a good vehicle.But I suspect you just over fueled it causing the smoke and a belt needs adjusted or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete