sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Colorado 5 cilynder motor 3.7 Vortec. Itá an

Customer Question

I have a Colorado 5 cilynder motor 3.7 Vortec. Itá an automatic one. I ride and suddenly as I stop accelerating even if I don´t press the brake the motor stalls. If I want to restart it I have to press the acceleration pedal in order to restart. And as it start to heat the revolutions fall down beetween 500 and 600 revs. When its hot it shivers and stops. The guy at the scanner told me that the timing chains are bad adjusted. Also he told me that in the rear of the motor there are a second timing chain taht balance the motor. What do you think.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery?
Customer: It´s a new one. It starts with no problem. Trouble is that I changed the motor
JA: Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: No hills, it stalls when you are going to a crossroad. As soon as you keep out the feet from the acceleration pedal.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes Pearl. I´m hoping to fix it my self but what I dont know where are the timing marks in the front and the rear
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's definitely possible for incorrect cam timing to cause the engine to run poorly but from your description it sounds as if the problem may be intermittent. If the problem is intermittent then it won't be a cam timing issue. If cam timing was incorrect it couldn't go back on it's own and then run correctly again.

Is the problem intermittent?
Do you know what fault codes were found?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you really understand my answer?
Regards

If you replied to my questions it did not post to the page.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please concentrate on my question:
I have a Colorado 5 cilynder motor 3.7 Vortec. It´s an automatic transmission one. I starts fine, and during the ride -for instance- when you are getting near a crossroad and I stop the acceleration (even if I don´t press the brake) the engine stalls. When I want to restart the engine, I have to press the acceleration pedal in order to do it.
As the engine reaches it´s normal working temperature, the revolutions fall down beetween 500 and 600 during idle.When the engine is hot, it shivers and stop.
The guy at the scanner told me that the timing chains are bad adjusted. Also he told me that in the rear of the motor there are a second timing chain that balances the motor and the transmission.
This is not the original engine, I replaced it, and everyone tells me a different story.
Right now I don´t have the scan result.
So, Please let me know where are the timing marks in the front and if it´s for real that the (balance) rear chain does exist.
If you need some information ask me.
Regards.

Is the problem intermittent?

CAn you obtain the fault codes? I'll need to know what codes are set to be able to begin diagnosis.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fault is according to what I´m saying you.
I don´t have the fault codes at hand

Can you have the codes read again, contact whoever read them, locate a printout or receipt?

Does the problem happen intermittently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mr. I´ll go and scan the truck, so I can send you the codes; and let´s see if you understand what my question is about. Until then please hold.