Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

97 z28 Camaro 5.7 I installed new pump , thermostat , filled

Customer Question

97 z28 Camaro 5.7 I installed new pump , thermostat , filled coolant and bleed through both bleeders . Fans don't seem to come on with out a/c ??? Once it gets hot it hard to recover in traffic on highway runs about 160
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Is the engine actually over heating (running over 220 degrees)?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was idling in my driveway yesterday I bleed it again this morning but haven't driven yet . If I remove cap with engine off to check level do I need to bleed again ?
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

You dont need to bleed it again if the cap is removed.I would run it until warm and then shut it down and allow it to cool then check and top off the engine coolant level.Do this more then once if needed but make sure it has cooled over an hour before removing cap to top off coolant.

The cooling fans for a hot engine usually do not kick on until around 220 to 225 degrees on some models so if your not reaching that temp this may be why the fans are not turning on without the ac being on.

If your only reaching 160 degrees and a new thermostat is installed and all the air is bled out then you may have a faulty engine coolant temp sensor needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess my biggest question was about removing cap & rebleeding . It seems to have worked out /. So far . So I have 4 more questions this month - is that right ? Also I'm not going to have anymore charges on my card correct . I don't want a monthly bill .
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I dont know for sure how the member account stuff works here I can only help with your questions.The member subscription is something you would need to speak to customer service about.

If you like the answer I have provided here though feel free to rate my help as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete