Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have an 07 Impala that was involved in a side impact. I

Customer Question

I have an 07 Impala that was involved in a side impact. I replaced the deployed bags and sensors and had the module reset. The airbag light was off for around 6 months.
The light is now back on and I have a code B0016 left side curtain airbag short to ground.
I checked continuity from the module to the bag and actually replaced the bag with another salvage yard bag. When I clear the code it instantly comes back.
Do I more than likely have a bad spot in the wiring between the bag and module or could I have some other issue? The company that rest the module said that with the B0016 code it is not in the module.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

yes, you have a harness issue between the module and the air bag. it is recommended to replace the harness once the bag is deployed. a short to power is most of the time related to wire harness issues. I would replace that harness.

Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I removed the two wires that go to the side curtain airbag and completely replaced them from module to bag. I still get the same code. I'm at a lose
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no resistance in either wire. The yellow wire with black tracer when plugged into the module is grounded and has 23 ohms resistance.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.

no resistance??? what is your reading???

23 ohms where??? what wires??? harness connected or disconnected??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
With harness connected at module and I back probe the yellow wire black tracer that comes from the side curtain air bag there is 23 ohms resistance between that connection and ground on the car.Is there any chance that this could be do to a bad impact sensor?
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.

you did replace the impact sensor, didnt you???

once they deploy, they are no good

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did replace, but purchased used, online. As I said before, the system was fine for approximately 6 months.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.

used?? what about the harness?? is that used as well???

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just replaced the wire from curtain bag to module. Removed connectors and replaced from connector to connector.
I have done at least 4 other vehicles that have had blown bags all of them being GM vehicles and I have never had to replace anything other than the bags, sensors and had the module reset and I haven't had a problem. That is why I am curious if the impact sensors can cause a short to ground?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

Impact sensors are basically inertia switches that are partially open by default with a predetermined resistance value. On a crash, the circuit closes and initiates air bag deployment. If the circuit gets opened or grounded at any point, the system will shut down and the warning lamp will come on.

NOTE: To avoid possible liability issues, OEMs as well as insurance companies require new parts be used to repair any SRS system.