AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 1998 chevy s10 2.2 l is idling gh and i cleaned out the

Customer Question

My 1998 chevy s10 2.2 l is idling high and i cleaned out the iac housing and plugged off with my finger, the idle went right down so no vacuum leaks. I replaced the iac with a new delphi, same problem. no trouble codes so wiring is ok. i unplugged the MAF sensor while the truck was running, it died! Should I replace the MAF or TPS sensor next?Thanks.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No check engine light on.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: My 1998 chevy s10 2.2 l is idling high and i cleaned out the iac housing and plugged off with my finger, the idle went right down so no vacuum leaks. I replaced the iac with a new delphi, same problem. no trouble codes so wiring is ok. i unplugged the MAF sensor while the truck was running, it died! Should I replace the MAF or TPS sensor next?Thanks.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1GCCS1946W8201432
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN. If you are 100% sure there are no vacuum leaks and the throttle plate is not stuck open for any reason, the most likley cause of this would be a bad Throttle position sensor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the TPS have to be installed a certain way, or just bolted on and plugged in?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

The metal tab should line up with the slot in the TPS sensor when installed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Like I stated, when I unplugged the Maf sensor while running, the truck died. is that normal.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Yes sir

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if not TPS, what do you think next? Throttle body is clean and closing all the way.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Then I would get the intake smoked checked for vacuum leaks using a smoke machine and check the IAC wiring from the computer to the IAC motor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I plugged off the iac housing and the idle went right down, and sprayed the throttle body and intake with carb cleaner while running - No change. that should rule out vacuum leaks, Correct?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

In theory YES, it "should" but that is not always the case.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How long do I have to ask you questions without paying more money? Like after I change the TPS?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Once you rate my answer, there is no cost for follow up questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, I was going to change the TPS next anyway, but Thank You.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Your welcome! I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.