George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

Brake lights stopped working. Turn sig and other lights

Customer Question

brake lights stopped working. Turn sig and other lights work. Replaced the brake light switch...still not working. Replaced turn signal switch, still not working. Also put new bulbs in.
JA: Working brake lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No other info. I followed suggestions from other forums. Not working. Everything on truck was working 3 days ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: trying to
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Checked fuses also, no problem there
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

What is the year and model of your truck?

Do you have a voltmeter to check the circuit if I guide you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Classic
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a voltmeter at this moment and the person who is working on the vehicle had to do something else for a few minutes. Can we call you back in a few minutes? What number?

In the rear is a junction block up by the spare. Follow the wiring from the lights to the block. You want to see if you have 12 volts with the pedal down on the light blue wires, if you have 12 volts into the block and nothing out on the light blue wires replace the block. About $50

Let me know how I can help, I am unable to speak on the phone just reply to this thread.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK will try that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
looks like we have 12 volts from vehicle to the block but nothing from the block to the brake lights. so are you saying this means we need to replace the block?

Yes, the junction block fails internally. It is about $50.

I am sorry for the delayed response I was not notified of your reply.

Let me know if you have further questions

Thank you