Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe and the steering wheel controls do

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Chevy Tahoe and the steering wheel controls do not work. I have checked fuses and the lights for the switches illuminate with lights on. However, Cruise doesnt work and neither does the bluetooth talk button or the radio controls.
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: yes.. At least all of the ones in the car and under the hood
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would hope.. However, I am thinking this might have to go to the dealer for a reprogram.. I do not have a Tech2 or any GM software access
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Ummm... I don't think so.. I had some other repairs to it. I replaced the passenger side mirror because it was broken but all functions work there. The master window switch works. The ac was low on freon due to a leak and that has been repaired. The air box was missing and i replaced that. It has gone through all readiness codes and is ready for inspection. Just the radio and cruise on the steering wheel do not work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. On this model all of the steering wheel controls you have listed pass through what is called an inflatable restraint coil behind the steering wheel.This coil spins with the steering wheel allowing electrical contact to remain for these components to operate on the steering wheel.What happens usually in most all cases is one or more of the signals from this coil fail to pass through the coil to the BCM (body control module) causing this issue.I have had to replace this coil on several models in the past before for this issue here and suspect this is the same cause on your model.The only other thing that can cause this is a faulty BCM or like you said above the BCM needs programmed by a dealer but usually 99% of the time it is this coil that needs replaced.The coil is posted here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4ee43fmk742sh9/co-05-245.gif?dl=0 The cost can range up around $200 to $350 to have replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know it was a BIG problem with older models and I haven't seen it myself on newer models. So I am wondering why there are no codes in the system for any of this? and there is also no SRS light on or any faults in this system either.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
The sir coil has separate signals through it for the air bag system and the steering wheel controls.In allot of cases the steering wheel control side will not set codes making this difficult to diagnose fully.It is also possibly you may not be using a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your vehicle to read for codes as some cheaper hand held code readers will only read engine and transmission fault codes.It is most common for this coil to fail and has occurred on the older and newer models as the coil has to spin with the steering wheel and over time it can break internally causing a signal loss with both the steering wheel control side and air bag side or just one may be at fault like this is seen here.It is very possible the BCM is at fault needing replaced or programmed and you can have this checked to see for sure.There is a resistance value for each signal from the switches to the coil.The BCM data signals need checked with a compatible scan tool to see if it registers each button being pressed on the steering wheel.If it does then the BCM is most likely at fault.If it does not then the coil needs replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete