Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

99 chevy blazer 2wd, starts then shuts off. repeats several

Customer Question

99 chevy blazer 2wd, starts then shuts off. repeats several times- does this when hot or cold engine
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 175,000
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: when you start the blazer it shuts down like its its not getting gas.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: we just bought the blazer 4 months ago, this is a continuous problem, it was said that the fuel pump had been recently replaced. I've changed the plugs,wires and the dist cap and rotor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** it ever shut off while driving?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
This can be a sign of a failing mass airflow sensor. Next time problem happens unplug the mass airflow sensor to see if it starts easily, if so clean with approved cleaner from parts store. If cleaner doesn't help replace the mass airflow sensor. The only other thing that cause this is security system but that would have security indicator on dash acting up. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.