Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 06 Suburban keeps blowing the 10amp fuse in the underhood

Customer Question

My 06 Suburban keeps blowing the 10amp fuse in the underhood fuse box. I followed the recommendation of another thread and unplugged the outlet to the compressor to see if it would still blow the fuse....it did not. What would my next step be now to see where the problem is?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've only done the test I stated above with unplugging the power to the compressor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** unplugging compressor stopped fuse from blowing that means the compressor itself has failed and needs to be replaced. It is a 1.5 hour job book rate and about $600 for compressor new from dealer but you can buy one off ebay for around $100. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is what I assumed. Just wanted to be sure. ThanksIf I were to take this job on myself, would I need to take the truck in to have the lines drained first or is this something that can be done myself and what would the price be for this roughly?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
you would wan't to bring it to a shop to have lines drained and you are looking at around $120 total for a drain/refill. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you run into questions. I can also give you rpelacement instructions if you would like. Thanks.