mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

The web site would not let me stay with you if I changed

Customer Question

The web site would not let me stay with you if I changed vehicles so I have to continue this way for now can you still look at my question please.
I need to know why my 2003 Chevy 4x4 has a hesitation and the motor revs up like in neutral when shifting from 2 to 3 but will shift little better when you increase rpm or cold. I replaced all 4 shift solenoids (2-3 , 1-2 , 3-2 shift sol. and TCC PWM SOL.)when I first got the truck would not start out in 1st gear code scan indicated bad shift solenoid almost one year ago. This new shifting problem started to get worse over time all other shifting is fine. I flushed system 3 or 4 time sense then had a small leak from a bad drain plug didn't see because truck was parked on dirt trans. was 1 1/2 quarts low when I noticed it. Two of the sols. have different ohm reading but look the same auto zone gave me two that were the same of course so I think the TCC PWM had the wrong solenoid for some time until I figured that out and put the old back in no change. I recently charged the TPS from the advice of Just Answer mechanic that was $100.00 wasted. That's what I have done so far do you need more can't get scan code to come up either.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
no it sounds as if the transmission is starting to wear out. this is a common symptom of a 4l60e that is going bad. flushing the system can also make it worse because you are effectively washing all the friction material out of the transmission. if you have changed all the solenoids and this is the symptom you have then i would have to say that the transmission is reaching the end of its life before a rebuild. however you may be able to prolong its life with a bottle or two of lucas transmission stop slip. this is really nothing more than a bandaid but it really does work quite well. it you are having slipping issues now i would recommend starting with one bottle of it. no more than two. it comes out like honey so i recommend mixing it in another bottle with regular ATF before trying to pour it down the tube.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike,I know this is wishful thinking but one of the experts told me it maybe a problem in the value body I assume maybe plugged or a problem with the servo I assume needs a rebuild kit he didn't elaborate. I did some research found that you can over tighten the band and cause it to drain from 2 to 3 so if the band is lose would it not cause it to slip from 2 to 3 because the band releases at that time. Let me know what you think I may hit the sack now. Thanks
sorry for the late response my computer had an issue and had to be restarted. the info you found is true however if you have not touched the bands i doubt they are over tightened. the valve body issue causes more of a hard shift rather than what you are describing. what you are describing is just straight up worn out clutches. i would be ready for a rebuild on this transmission. however the fluid i suggested can possible prolong what you are experiencing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been a long time sense I worked trans. My theory is if the band is loose and the trans shifts from 2nd to 3nd it's releasing to early so it doesn't go in right away I maybe thinking this backwards. I may try to tighten it because it doesnt cost me any money to try. What will the out come it will not change any thing or if it does do you know what will happen. Can you tell me the adjustment measurements how many inch lbs do I need and the back off amount how many turns. Thanks
the bands on this particular transmission are solenoid controlled and there is no adjustment for them.