Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

2008 Chevy Impala: A/C not working. when you press the A/C

Customer Question

2008 Chevy Impala: A/C not working. when you press the A/C button, the compressor will kick on for about 3 seconds and go off, the light flashes on A/C button several times then goes off. It also sounds like the blend door actuator is going out due to the clicking sound behind glove box.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. This does sound like a blend door or mode door issue if you have clicking behind the dash.Usually you can tell which it is by running at idle switching from cold to hot to see if the temp changes any at all.If it does not then it is the temp actuator needing replaced most likely.If this is o.k. then switch from heat to vent to defrost and if it doesnt switch properly then the mode actuator usually needs replaced.You should still have ac even with this issue here and it sounds like the ac system is seeing a low freon issue which is most common and is due to a freon leak needing located and repaired and then the freon refilled to correct this fault here.I would have the freon checked for being under full then if found low then the leak inspected and repaired to correct this issue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete