Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

I have a 1997 Tahoe with the 5.7 liter V-8. It's getting a

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Tahoe with the 5.7 liter V-8. It's getting a P1406 error code. What do I need to fix?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: About 180,000 give or take
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I'm just an engineer with who knows enough to fix general obvious things but not the finer points of emissions controls, etc.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hoping to have him fix it. He just doesn't know what that particular code is indicating. Was hoping to avoid another trip to the shop and having to fork out another hundred bucks to have them check it out.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: seems to run ok other than that. I am just trying to get it fixed so it will pass the County Emissions test.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
The P1406 is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the EGR Position Sensor. On this vehicle, the EGR position sensor is internal of the EGR Valve itself, so when faulty, the EGR Valve will need to be replaced. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the EGR Valve should solve the problem. For a n image location view of the EGR Valve click here: my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.