GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2005 Tahoe z71. My tail lights are giving me

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2005 Tahoe z71. My tail lights are giving me trouble. When the lights are in the on position, my tail lights are in a constant illumination. Even when not pressing the brake. Whats my issue?
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I have a OEM 3rd break lamp, and led aftermarket lights. All the bulbs are good as far as working and the turn signals are good. When the lights are off, the break lights only activate when i apply the break.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Id like too
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I checked the break pedal its self and it doesnt seem to be stuck. I looked at the rear trailer power hook up and disconnected it. There was very minor corrosion, however... when disconnected, the lights should then turn off by themselves if this was the cause of the grounding issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, can you tell me how long you have had the led lights installed and if this issue happened before or after the led lights were installed?