Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2000 Silverado, battery died because left key in on

Customer Question

2000 Silverado, battery died because left key in on position. Changed battery, now car cranks but won't turn over
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
can you disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 cables together for 1 minute then reconnect both battery cables back up to the battery will it sill do this ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried that, didn't work. What would cause this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can try it again, how would that fix it?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
that will usually reset the computerswhen there is low battery power it can sometimes lock up the computers where doing that will reboot the computers
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the computers are locked up would it still crank? Could it be a passlock issue?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Didn't work, anything else I can try?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
if you follow this will it reset ?Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I do that, I can't see the security light, the battery light is on and they are the same area
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
with the door shut ?if that will not come on can you see if it will run or somewhat run on starting fluid ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Spray the starter fluid where?
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
down the throttle body where the air hose connects to the engine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I'll try it
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
if it runs on starting fluid and there is good fuel pressure that shows the system is in fuel theft shut off mode since the relearn did now work for you at this point with low voltage or possibly it was jump started the PCM or the BCM is bad or needs to be reprogrammed with a scan tool to correct this issueif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Any other suggestions? Still won't start, retrying the passlock reset now