Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2002 Chevy malibu that is driving me crazy, at

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy malibu that is driving me crazy, at least when I drive. Makes a constant clicking noise like the flasher are on but they are not. I've heard its an easy fix not sure where to start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes the engine turns over. Battery is less than a year
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: I don't think so. I just don't know where to start to fix it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. What usually causes this issue here that I have had to replace several times in the past before is a fault with the hazard switch itself on the dash.It fails internally.In some cases you can activate the hazards then deactivate them with the switch and if the fault corrects itself you may be o.k. from there but if it acts up again it will need replaced.The cost is about $24 for the switch and a half hour labor to have replaced.Part number 22594146 from any GM dealer.REMOVAL PROCEDUREhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/hopplszap2xg23t/ha-05-20.gif?dl=01. Disable the SIR system. 2. Remove the Instrument Panel (IP) cluster trim plate from the IP carrier. 3. Disconnect the dimmer switch electrical connector if required. 4. Disconnect the hazard warning switch electrical connector. 5. With a small flat-bladed tool release the retaining tabs for the hazard warning switch. 6. From the back side of the IP cluster trim plate, push the hazard warning switch in a outward motion. This will remove the switch from the IP cluster trim plate.https://www.dropbox.com/s/hopplszap2xg23t/ha-05-20.gif?dl=01. Align the hazard warning switch to the opening in the IP cluster trim plate. 2. Push inward on the hazard warning switch until fully seated into IP cluster trim plate. 3. Connect the hazard warning switch electrical connector. 4. Connect the dimmer switch electrical connector if required. 5. Install the IP cluster trim plate to the IP carrier. 6. Enable the SIR. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete