Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I am receiving reduce engine power warning and vehicle will

Customer Question

I am receiving reduce engine power warning and vehicle will not accelerate.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Reduced engine power warning. Just changed the electronic throttle body. Drove for 3 miles and it happened again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced electronic throttle body
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

can you tell me what model , engine size and fuel type this is please?

also how many miles are on the vehicle and when it was last serviced

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2004 Chevy tahoe 5.3L, oil changed 1 month ago, regular gas
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
117k miles
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

OK as you've had issues with the throttle I'd next remove the intake hose again and with the ignition on / engine off and then have your assistant press the accelerator down slowly, whilst you watch

the throttle should open smoothly with no jerks or hesitation if it does then check the wiring and connector for damage and corrosion

and if thats OK then consider replacing the pedal sensor

if all of this is OK then I'd move onto checking for fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could notbe running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you