GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have a 05 chevy impala and it wont start. No buzzing noise

Customer Question

Have a 05 chevy impala and it wont start. No buzzing noise like normal when battery is dead. Lights work, radio works... the security light came on about three weeks ago while driving but it went off after a bit. Came back on periodically but had no trouble starting until now. Previous owner said this happened before and they tried just about everything before taking it to a garage and was told then that a wire was touching the body. Would love to know where to look for this wire in case that's the problem again so I don't have to pay $500 for a quick fix. Of course from the posts Ive been reading it sounds like there is a big problem about the security bypass system which I'm not sure why GM hasn't issued a recall on such a huge issue.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: I'm actually not sure how old the battery is, I did check to see if terminals are tight though and to be honest I don't see a battery gauge on my dash lol
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It would be nice to be able to especially if this is an easy fix like a wire is touching where it shouldn't.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Other then the above problem that I stated at the beginning of my post, I cant think of anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ironmike replied 6 months ago.
greetings, does the anti theft light come on and flash when trying to start or key is on? do you have a multi meter to check the battery? did you try to jump start? do you have a test light to check if the starter is getting power?