GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2011 Chevy Impala with the actuator problem; the

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Chevy Impala with the actuator problem; the tapping noise seems to be near the steering column. Can I fix this myself? The Website suggests if the actuator is bad on the passenger side, it is easy to fix.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: This isn't a steering issue; it's an actuator issue.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can see get the proper information and if there are any Service Bulletins?Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
VIN # ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello?
Is your noise coming from an actuator for the heating/AC system? The actuators are common to go bad and make noise.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's my assumption. I'm not a mechanic and have never heard the noise before. Not much can make noise once the engine is off, right. I did have the defroster on the entire drive to work. Can't think what else it would be.
Ok. There are 4 actuators. You will need to determine which one is making the noise by putting your hand on the actuator and feeling for the movement of actuator, then unplug it to be sure it is the correct one.Attached are the different actuators. If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happyto answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****